How temporary foreign workers can become Canadian permanent residents

Are you a temporary foreign worker in Alberta dreaming of becoming a permanent resident in Canada? The Alberta Opportunity Stream is your gateway to make that dream a reality. Here’s a simplified guide to help you understand the key requirements.

Residency and Work Permit

To qualify, you must hold a valid temporary resident status in Canada that allows you to work. In simple terms, this means having a temporary foreign worker permit. No status maintenance during processing or restoration status is accepted.

Eligible Applicants

Your work permit must be based on either a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or an LMIA exemption. These exemptions can be related to international trade agreements, intra-company transfers, International Experience Canada, Mobilité Francophone, R205(d) for religious work, or an open work permit, particularly for vulnerable workers or their family members.

Occupation Requirements

Your job must fall into an eligible occupation in Alberta. This requirement applies to both your work experience and job offer. You’ll need to review the criteria for work experience and job offers to ensure they meet the standards.

Post-Graduation Work Permit Holders

If you’re a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) holder, your job must be related to your field of study in Alberta. Make sure your education aligns with the necessary Alberta credentials and approved institutions.

Language Skills and Education

You’ll need to demonstrate your language proficiency in English or French when you apply. Additionally, as of January 1, 2021, a minimum of high school education equivalent to Canadian standards is required. An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from an organization designated by IRCC is necessary for your highest level of education.

Work Experience Requirements

Your current occupation must match your work experience both when you apply and when your application is assessed. Eligible work experience includes:

  1. A minimum of 12 months full-time work experience in your current occupation in Alberta within the last 18 months.

A minimum of 24 months of full-time work experience in your current occupation in Canada or abroad within the last 30 months. This can be a combination of experience gained in Alberta, in Canada (outside Alberta), or abroad.

For Post-Graduation Work Permit holders, a minimum of 6 months full-time work experience in your current occupation in Alberta within the last 18 months is required.

For More Information, Contact Us at JurisCorp Law

This is a simplified guide to the Alberta Opportunity Stream, but immigration matters can get complex. If you have questions or need more detailed information, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our experts at JurisCorp Law. We’re here to assist you on your journey to permanent residency in Alberta.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top